Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake

I started this recipe based on FatFreeVegan's "eggnog cheesecake" and created a chocolate version for Jeff's birthday. It turned out very, very good! I prefer the water-packed tofu over silken for a cheesecake, because it makes a firmer cheesecake.

Chocolate Layered Cheesecake
1 package of firm tofu (the kind in water - I use a sprouted kind)
1 8-ounce package Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegan milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 oz dark chocolate
1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Blend all ingredients except for the chocolate, until smooth. Pour out half of the mixture. Melt the dark chocolate and blend into half of the mixture, then pour into a greased pie pan. Mix the mini chocolate chips into the other half and this layer over the other, spreading carefully to keep it smooth. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350, making sure the edges don't get too dark.

I made this crustless because my brother is gluten intolerant, but I'm sure it would be delicious with a graham cracker crust!

No comments:

Post a Comment