Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Caponata Sandwiches

Today's lunch was my take on a recipe from Jennifer McCann's Vegan Lunch Box Around the World (you can follow her blog here). I changed it according to preference and what I had in my refrigerator and I loved the result.

Caponata Sandwiches
1 medium eggplant
2 small/medium portobello mushrooms
1 orange bell pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 t salt
1 t basil
1/2 t oregano
1 T red wine vinegar
2 T sugar
1/4 c raisins (opt)
artisan bread
mozzarella cheese

Dice mushrooms, eggplant, and celery. Saute with coconut oil on high heat for several minutes. Dice orange pepper and add, continuing to cook on high heat for a couple more minutes. Once vegetables are cooked, add tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, vinegar, sugar, and raisins. Allow to warm and turn off. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm over toasted ciabatta or other artisan bread. Top with vegan mozzarella cheese (I used Follow Your Heart and shredded it).

The key to this recipe is not to overcook everything. Make sure to cook the veggies on a high heat just long enough so they are chewy, almost seared, and don't continue to cook for very long after you add the rest of the ingredients. I love the peppers a little bit crisp, instead of mushy! My husband didn't like the raisins, so we might leave those out next time, and onions would be good in here if my stomach could handle it. Which, at the moment, it cannot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment