Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vegan Puppy Chow

Being the week before Christmas, I've made it my goal to make a new Christmas treat every couple of days. Jeff and I have been enjoying a Christmas movie every few evenings - last night was Elf, my favorite part being Zooey Deschanel's gorgeous, rich voice with "Baby It's Cold Outside" - and treats accompany the movies quite nicely. ;)

I've had "puppy chow" before on occasion, but decided to make my own this year. It wasn't very difficult to veganize and it was nice being able to use healthier ingredients for my version.

Puppy Chow
9 cups corn or rice chex
1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (I used Adams)
1/4 c Earth Balance
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c powdered sugar (I used Private Selection natural powdered sugar, which is organic and I don't think it is bleached)
Heat chocolate chips, peanut butter, Earth Balance, and vanilla in a kettle on the stove until creamy. Pour over chex in a medium sized bowl and stir until chex are evenly coated. Put powdered sugar in a gallon size ziploc bag and pour chex mix into the bag. Shake until evenly coated and let cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment