Monday, October 25, 2010

New developments

Jael has reached several new developmental markers this week and they are both positive and negative. ;)

1. Mimicking words. Jeff was reading to her a few days ago and started repeating words to her, which she blurted back. It may not have been the most accurate repetition, but she had the idea down! So far, her favorite things to repeat are "mama" (very clear) and "cat" (kind of a random mix of two syllables that vaguely sounds like "'at").

2. Flop-on-the-floor-and-kick temper tantrums. Usually brought on by a simple "No, Jael. Don't touch that!" This morning she tried to touch a laptop, which she knows is naughty, so I told her no. She stiffened her body, flopped down on her tummy, head on the ground, and shrieked as she kicked her arms and legs. It was very hard not to laugh. :P But I know I won't keep laughing if I let her keep this up.

3. Clapping. She's clapped a few times in the past, but this week she caught on and has been clapping all the time and looking to see if anyone notices. Our only problem with this new skill is that she has confused with with praying. I've taught her to put her hands together to pray before meal times, but apparently this seems like clapping to her. So at supper tonight when Jeff told her we were going to pray for our food, she started clapping!

4. Understanding what we're saying. Actually, this has been going on for at least a month now, but it sure makes me think twice when I realize she knows what I mean! If I merely say the word "outside", she immediately makes for the door and is very upset if she doesn't get to go out. She knows when I say "Daddy" and starts looking around for him, even if we're at the store and I say his name. When we tell her to say "please", she will sign immediately, and if we talk about "eating supper", she runs for her high chair.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to accompany this post. We've been too busy this week and I need some new photos. It seems like she's looking more "little girl" and less "baby" every day!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, she is growing up, for sure! And sounds so adorable, even in spite of little tantrums. ;) I'll have to keep up with how you work with those... it's such a delicate matter of discipline and understanding!

    ReplyDelete